Safe Trick or Treat night is scheduled for Thursday, October 31st from 6-8pm for Potter Township and Centre Hall Borough
Everyone loves a good scare on Halloween, but not when it comes to the safety of our children and neighborhoods. According to Safe Kids Worldwide, children are twice as likely to be injured by vehicles on Halloween than any other day of the year.
Parents and guardians can help to ensure this Halloween will be a safe one by following these tips:
- Young children should be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Costumes should not drag on the ground or obstruct the child’s vision and shoes must fit properly
- Carry a cellphone at all times in case of an emergency
- Pack a flashlight to use for trick or treating in the dark
- Be aware of your surroundings. Stay away from houses that are dark. Be aware of tripping hazards and never walk alone.
- To prevent fires, Jack O’Lanterns should be battery operated
- If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road using a flashlight and watch for oncoming traffic
- Although tampering is rare, inspect all candy just to be safe
- And don’t forget, chocolate can be deadly to pets!