FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 22, 2019
Reminder—Westbound Daytime Detour Will be In Effect This Week on
Potters Mills Gap Project
State College, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is reminding drivers of a westbound detour this week for its Route 322/Potters Mills Gap project in southeast Centre County. Up-to-date information can be found on the PMG Project page at www.penndot.gov/pottersmillsgap.
Through April 27, drivers can expect the following:
- Tuesday through Friday, April 23-26, westbound traffic will be detoured onto Route 144 north and Route 45 west before returning to Route 322 at Boalsburg. This detour is necessary for drainage work and pavement patching. Advance signage is in place to alert drivers to this detour. The detour is scheduled for daytime only—8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- On Saturday, April 27, flagging will be in place on Route 322 to alternate eastbound and westbound traffic between Decker Valley Road and Route 144. This traffic control is necessary for pavement patching and line painting. Flagging hours are scheduled for 8:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- A mile east of Potters Mills, the crossover from Decker Valley Road to Sand Mountain Road remains in place, with one lane open in each direction. This crossover will continue through September.
- Within the crossover, there is a 14-foot width restriction for westbound traffic and a 15-foot width restriction for eastbound traffic. These width restrictions will also be in place through September.
- Work will also continue off the roadway and drivers should be alert for construction vehicles entering and exiting Route 322 through the Potters Mills area.
- Short-term blasting operations may also take place. This may make roadway flagging necessary, creating intermittent and brief traffic stops.
This is the third and final phase of a construction project dating back to 2015. Phase One of the project constructed the new bridge at Sand Mountain Road. Phase Two created the new local interchange on Route 322 at Sand Mountain Road. The goal of Phase Three is to reconstruct Route 322 from Sand Mountain Road to Potters Mills – including a new Route 322/Route 144 intersection. The completed project will alleviate congestion and allow traffic to move more safely and efficiently from the Centre/Mifflin County line to Potters Mills.
Glenn O. Hawbaker, Inc. of State College is the contractor on this $82 million project.
Motorists are encouraged to “Know Before They Go” by checking conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 860 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
Subscribe to PennDOT news in Cameron, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Elk, Juniata, McKean, Mifflin, and Potter counties at www.penndot.gov/District2.
For regional updates on Twitter, follow www.twitter.com\511PAStateCOLL
MEDIA CONTACT: Marla Fannin(814) 765-0423, Timothy Nebgen (814) 765-0598
# # #