Purpose of PSATS Youth Awards: To recognize youth groups that make valuable and lasting contributions to improve life in Pennsylvania’s townships of the second class. The awards program encourages greater youth involvement in township government. CLICK HERE TO ENTER.
Eligible Entrants: All youth groups, such as 4-H clubs, Scout troops, school groups, and civic service club youth organizations from elementary school through grade 12, are eligible. The association of township officials in the entrant’s county must nominate the group for the award. The county association may initiate the nomination or the youth group may ask to be nominated. The project must have a major impact on townships of the second class and should provide youth group members with the opportunity to increase their knowledge of township government as well as develop a sense of personal and group achievement. Projects also should enhance the group members’ communication skills, their understanding of the decision-making process, and citizenship responsibilities.
Eligible projects and ideas include but are not limited to:
• community beautification, clean-up and fix-up of buildings, and litter clean-up projects;
• direct services to residents of the community, such as the elderly, children, the disabled and hospitalized, and the underprivileged;
• fund-raising projects for worthy causes;
• soil and water conservation, environmental protection, and recycling;
• voter registration and assisting in the election process;
• safety and recreation projects;
• blood donation and first aid projects; and
• projects that help to finance local government programs.
Deadline for Entry: All youth groups must submit their entry form to the president of their respective county association of township officials by July 1, 2019.
County associations of township officials must submit the entry form to PSATS by July 15, 2019.