September 12, 2019
PennDOT Issues Update on Potential Travel Delays Heading to
Penn State/Pitt Football Game
State College, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is issuing an update on potential delays drivers could encounter as they travel to Centre County for the Penn State/Pitt football game this Saturday. Kick-off is at noon, making for heavier traffic volumes throughout the day on Friday and again on Saturday morning. Remaining home games for Penn State are scheduled for October 5 and 19, and November 16 and 30.
Game attendees or regional travelers can expect the following restrictions based on their starting locations:
From the Harrisburg area:
- On U.S. 22 in Juniata County, traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction about a mile east of the Arch Rock interchange. This zone also features a 12-foot width restriction.
- On U.S. 322/22 in the Burnham area west of Lewistown in Mifflin County, eastbound and westbound traffic is restricted to one lane each direction.
- On U.S. 322 from the Mifflin/Centre County line through the village of Potters Mills, traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction. Travel delays are likely. This zone also features 12-foot and 14-foot width restrictions.
From the Pittsburgh area:
- On U.S. 22 in the Monroeville area of Allegheny County, there is a single-lane restriction
for eastbound traffic Friday night through Monday morning, September 13-16. The single-
lane restriction is located between Alpine Village Drive and Cavitt Road. Restriction hours
are 8 p.m. Friday night continuously through 6 a.m. Monday morning. Crews will conduct
concrete patching and paving operations. No restrictions will occur in the westbound
From the Johnstown area:
From the Lock Haven area:
- On Route 26, there is a traffic signal at the end of the I-80 westbound off-ramp at the Bellefonte/161 exit. This traffic pattern should alleviate major congestion and back-ups on I-80 westbound approaching the Bellefonte exit.
From western PA:
- On I-80 eastbound, there isbridge work with lane restrictions between DuBois/mile-marker 97 to east of DuBois/mile-marker 102. There are also 12-foot width restrictions. Speed reduced to 55 mph in these work zones. Please allow for extra travel time.
- On I-80 eastbound there isbridge work with lane shifts near mile-marker 125 in Clearfield County. In the same work zone, westbound traffic is restricted to the right/travel lane. There are no width restrictions in either direction.
In State College:
- On Atherton Street (Business Route 322) there will be no additional lane closures in place Friday, September 13; Saturday, September 14; and Sunday, September 15 due to the PSU/Pitt home football game. Two lanes will remain open in each direction to and from the University.
- On North Atherton Street, bridge repair work on a bridge spanning I-99 features a lane restriction for one-way, westbound traffic.
Motorists heading to the PSU/Pitt game are encouraged to “Know Before They Go” by checking conditions to and from the game at www.511PA.com and clicking on PSU Football Gameday Traffic Info. Drivers who need up-to-date parking information should visit www.transportation.psu.edu.
Pedestrian safety is also important. Pedestrians are reminded to cross only at intersections that allow for pedestrian movements. Drivers are reminded to “share the road” and be alert for pedestrians, bicyclists, and buses.
Customers using CATA bus service are encouraged to visit the CATA web site for full information on bus stop locations, rider alerts, and service levels.
Additionally, www.511PA.com provides conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles—including PA Turnpike conditions. 511PA is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 950 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
For regional updates on Twitter, follow www.twitter.com\511PAStateCOLL.
MEDIA CONTACT: Marla Fannin, 814-765-0423, Timothy Nebgen, 814-765-0598
# # #