Potter Township Administrative Secretarial Assistant Job Description
REPORTS TO: Secretary / Treasurer DEPARTMENT: Administration
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt Part-time: 20–25 hours/week
Performs clerical and support functions as well as receptionist duties for the Board of Supervisors and the Administration Department. Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors to the office. Provides support to the Township Administrative staff and Board of Supervisors.
• Receives and screens telephone calls and communicates messages to Zoning Office and Public Works Superintendent, and provides follow-up in the preparation of documentation needed by these offices
• Direct walk-in patrons and suppliers in providing them with flyer and pamphlets, and direction in obtaining the answers they request
• Assist the Administrative Secretary with opening incoming mail and direct documentation to the proper Supervisor, Committee or employee for action
• Assist Administrative Secretary with preparation of documentation and report copies necessary to support decisions of the Supervisors at their bi-monthly meeting
• Work with Zoning Officer, Public Works Superintendent and other committee heads to develop proper filing and records retention systems for their respective responsibilities
• Work with the Administrative Secretary in developing filing systems specific not only to the job of Administrative Secretary, but will have the capability to develop filing systems in other Potter Township task areas
• Responsible for scheduling township meeting space for community groups, committee meetings and Supervisor meetings
• Responsible for keeping Township postings and boards current with job availability, meeting schedules and time allotment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel)
• Ability to support new software systems with input, guided by Administrative Secretary
• Skill in operation of office machines such as computers, copy machine and other office equipment
• Training in QuickBooks and Microsoft Publisher considered a plus
• Knowledge of Pennsylvania Second Class Township Code considered a plus
• Confidentiality of information is of utmost importance
High school diploma or GED; supplemented by some experience in office and secretarial procedures; or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience.
Position is primarily sedentary and involves the ability to exert physical effort involving some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials up to 25 pounds. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station and extended periods of time standing and/or walking.
Tasks are regularly performed inside without exposure to adverse environmental conditions (e.g. dirt, cold, rain, fumes).
Tasks require sound and visual perception and judgement. Tasks require oral communication ability.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities are subject to change by the employer, with or without notice, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Potter Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with United States Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Potter Township provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.